Autel Support Communities
Autel Support Communities
Welcome, Guest     Sign in
Communities > Diagnostic & Analysis System > MaxiSys > Maxiscope. is it worth it? what scope do...
Maxiscope. is it worth it? what scope do you use.

2959 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: 2016-02-14 14:04:51

•   Level 4   
    (158) points
    Jerseykat1
    2016-01-31 16:53:30
    so lets say i budgeted 500 bucks for an automotive scope. Is this the scope i should spend my money on?

i have the maxisys mini. But i prefer to not use that for the scope i would be installing it on a windows tablet. There really isn't anything else i can get for automotive use in that price range. what do you think?

•   Level 7   
    (1143) points
    Matronix

2016-01-31 21:10:28 (Reply to:Jerseykat1)

for automotive use it is not a lot to spend, I agree, but you still have options.

I am using a Hantek3064 (Chinese) scope, which served me well until I took the step to invest in the newest PicoScope (a whole lot more expensive, don't even look at it if you work on low budget).

However, it seems like the Autel scope is about the same as the Hantek, tech wise, the software seems to be a bit better so if you have to choose, the Autel would be better.

That said, there might be other options out there that are worth to take a look at. I know about little pocket ones and other cheap scopes which won't do the same as the high end scopes but will serve you well in basics.

•   Level 4   
    (158) points
    Jerseykat1
    2016-02-02 00:37:32 (Reply to:Matronix)
     Yeah the Hantek 1008c is on my short list. But I am thinking maybe the maxiscope is a better value since it comes with adapters that would have to buy with the Hantek..

I would love to have a picoscope but i don't do enough of that type of work at my current job for it to be a viable purchase. Was also considering a used snap on vantage but i really don't like the UI or the controls of the SO vantage. But it may be the best choice out of them all.

•   Level 6   
    (489) points
    tech54

2016-02-03 01:36:18 (Reply to:Jerseykat1)

Buy a used Vantage Pro you'll get much more out of it than a basic one channel,two channel. I know it's over your projected budget but typically you'll find pretty clean one's on e-bay for about $750-$1000. If you want the latest and greatest database they are just over $1000.00 but you can update later for about $440 to get current. Their free PC program although not live is very good for capturing movies or just image shots. You also get a very good DVOM with graphing capabilities. I wouldn't bother with all the expensive ignition,pressure adaptors just high and low current clamps which you'll sometimes see sold with unit. As far as four channels you'll hardly ever need more than two unless couple being used on ignition and need to check one or two other signals at the same time. Aeswave has all adaptors or leads that you'll ever need including ignition. If your price point is a stretch at $500  they have a single channel U-scope under $200 that you can choose accessories.I still have two original vantages that are great DVOM's but scope capabilities limited and their getting too old so buyer beware and can't be updated that's why I said pro model. Even though shop has Verus Pro since tethered by USB connection mostly still use my old 2 channel LS2000 and vantage pro for scope work. Depending on clients in shop most people won't pay properly for scope usage it's more for the technician to learn different testing techniques that possibly save time and give you a window to the front end of problems instead of totally  analyzing the processed back door through scanner. Most shops and techs hardly use theirs so many are very clean and originally cost near $3000

•   Level 4   
    (158) points
    Jerseykat1
    2016-02-05 06:03:16 (Reply to:tech54)
     i am not likely to be using mine a lot either. which is why i am looking for something inexpensive. But i think the Vantage pro is a good way to go. or maybe if i could get a older modis. for a similar price.

•   Level 6   
    (489) points
    tech54

2016-02-06 04:25:15 (Reply to:Jerseykat1)

Their not that much different in price point and the Modis would give you 4 channels plus a backup scanner but you need to check all the personality keys,adaptors and European coverage as some people didn't spring for coverage. On the down side most Modis were used as shop scanner that's why they usually look more beat up and I think early models weren't that good with the battery either but can't speak from experience. Their is probably not a better scanner all-around speaking up to 2010 and would give you coverage on older vehicles and sometimes you might get some scope accessories like low amp current probe or conventional ignition leads as that was the shop's scope but look carefully. Since I bought new I always liked the fact that my Solus Pro and vantage Pro the batteries were interchangeable when one went dead while working but that's not your case here. I don't know how much of a database Autel gives you with their scope if any but maybe others can be more enlightening then me LOL

•   Level 4   
    (158) points
    Jerseykat1
    2016-02-14 14:04:51 (Reply to:tech54)
     I think I will end up inheriting the shops modis. But i did order a hantek 1008c with amp probe. So i will have that as an option as well. i will just velcro it to the back of a inexpensive Windows 2 in 1 tablet that i have. 
  Total1 Pages